Monday, April 18, 2016

What happened - Sorrow



Monument - Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Kentucky
One learns from the teachings of the East that sadness comes to everyone.  Happiness cannot be real and alive without awareness of the total life including loss.  Thomas Merton seemed to be benefiting from these parts of practice and teachings to practice.

I knew Jenny Bennett from her streams and hills blog.  She seemed to have a great love for the mountains.  I feel great sorrow about the truth that she has died.  When I read her brother's account of spreading her ashes I felt an intense and deep sorrow.

Thomas Barnes was an incomparable nature writer of Kentucky places of beauty.  Tom Barnes wrote of the small remnants of biological communities that remained after development had taken the great amounts of the natural places we once had.

It seemed to me to be too much to bear to have so much of Kentucky's nature gone and then to lose the man who chronicled Kentucky's nature so well.

Sadness is felt inside and outside. Sadness comes to everyone.  Though one wants to get away from suffering, it is not something that can be done.

I miss Jenny.
I miss Tom.



Loss is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment