Friday, September 5, 2014

Looking skyward


Giant tree - Mammoth Cave NP
 
 
Trees work in associaton with fungi in their roots. They can send resources to their neighboring trees using the root network. They work quietly but work nonetheless. Their noble life can be an appreciation for our life. Some of Kentucky's tallest trees are found in Mammoth Cave NP. This is a beautiful park and its trees are especially appealing. 
 
"I sat on a little stool between my father's knees in the two-wheeled chaise he always drove. To my mind the whole earth spread out before me. My father pointed out the most striking trees as we passed them and told me how to distinguish their varieties. I do not think I ever afterward failed to know one forest tree from another . . . what struck me, perhaps most of all, he stopped his horse on top of a steep hill, bade me notice how the water there flowed in different directions, and told me such a point was called a watershed. I never forgot that word, or any part of my father's talk that day."

George Perkins Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment